Sunday, April 5, 2009

Today was a good day. Most of today was shared with family, which is just about always a good thing.



Yesterday marked six years since we lost my father and my mom wanted us all to be together so that we could have him with us, so to speak. She came up with a great idea, so we all headed into the Berkshires for a great brunch at a sugar shack up that way. There were eleven of us today....my mother, my brother, my husband, me, our three daughters (our son and his family couldn't make it), my sister and brother-in-law, and my two nieces.

It was a chilly but sunny spring day today. As soon as we walked into the sugar shack, we were enveloped with the warmth of the wood fire and the sweet, sweet smell of maple syrup in the making. Looking out the windows into the woods we were treated to the view of a fast-moving river rushing by. We all got our meals and then squished together at one of the picnic tables located next to the woodstove. A very informal place, but such a warm, welcoming atmosphere.

We talked about my dad while we ate, reminiscing, laughing, sharing. I'm a true believer in our loved ones being around us even after they're gone, so I have no doubt that he was there, too. At one point, our daughter looked around and said "I love being with my family". I guess that's what life is all about, isn't it?

I miss being able to hug my dad or hold him close, but I know that he was with us today, sharing the memories, the laughter and the love. I love you, Dad.

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to mention the part about me not eating breakfast, almost throwing up, and ending up napping in the van. I wish i got to spend the morning with you guys talking about grampa :( I was really looking forward to the breakfast. I'm bummed that I was sick. We should make that a tradition, like one sunday a month or something. Poo.

    ReplyDelete